Friday, February 18, 2011

Yesterday I posted ideas for this in between type season.  And, I know that a lot of people are dealing with this because Facebook had tons of posts from around the country about how nice the weather was.  If it is 50-60 degrees during the day then you can bet it is cooler in the morning.  So, as cute and thin as those models are, they don't represent the average woman.

We hear it all the time...a size 12 is the average size for the American woman.  REALLY!!!!  As a boutique owner I would go to market all the time.  Many designers only go up to a size 10.  Personally I am offended by that.  If I can stay a size 10 fabulous...but I often creep up to a 12 or 14.  So where are the models that look like the rest of us?  Well you're not going to see them.

Even in magazines that are dedicated to the "real" woman, we see the not-so-average 6's and 8's.  Even Oprah has a few pounds carved off of her voluptuous figure for the cover of her magazine.  No wonder we all have image issues.

I was talking to a girlfriend the other day, who is one of the most elite image consultants in the country, about this very issue.  How images in the media make women feel inadequate.  This isn't a new topic.  We have heard about this issue for years.  The only thing we can do is turn off the tv, put down the magazines and "own" who we are.  That's right....if you are short like me, a little heavy like me or anything else; it is okay!!  It is okay because we are loving, intelligent, funny, nurturing, talented women!!  We don't have to look a certain way to have value.  Our society just tells us we do.

So the first thing to looking your best is OWN IT!  Then find things that fit your body well.  These particular tips are for the shorties like me who want to look great and feel great.

 First and foremost...think balance.  People always want to put me in straight leg jeans because I'm short and they think volume is going to make me look too big.  Ha!  Straight legs make me look like an ice cream cone. A little junk in your trunk?  Opt for at least a boot but, maybe even more!

                                            
 These are my all time favorite jeans and they are Lee!  Great waistband that doesn't roll down, a good amount of stretch and short or medium lengths.


Then I have the issue of the big boobies (which my husband reminds me is never an issue).  The best thing for us is stretch, stretch, stretch.  Used to be stretchy materials were just for gym clothes.  But now you can get great ponte knits, matte jerseys and even stretch silks.


I love this jacket for just throwing on over a cute shirt with jeans.  I also love that you obviously need more to fill it out than what the model has going on!!  This jacket is classic, stretchy and incredibly priced!


Opt for a cute top made out of a stretchy knit.  The thing with tops is remember to get movement without adding volume.  The cut of this top is perfect because it is fitted at the bodice and has a little more movement around the hem.  And, don't worry if you are well-endowed you can still wear ruffles as long as they are small and soft (the ruffles....not the boobies)


I've never been a shorts girl.  Which makes me love the trend of dresses.  Take a plain, knit dress and pump up the volume with cute jewelry and ballet flats or flip flops.  

No matter what you put on, remember to strut your stuff like you were on a New York runway!!
.

1 comment:

  1. love it.
    I've maintained good legs while having a chunkier middle. I love a nice long tunic/dress with leggings and flats.
    In fact, that may be my new summer uniform.

    ReplyDelete